Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 3--"Oven Fried Pork Chops, Mac & Cheese, & Roasted Carrots"



Who needs shake n' bake when you have bread crumbs?

I know...this was last night's meal. But once dinner was done and the kitchen was clean, it was 8pm and Tuesdays are Family Movie Night so I could not get on. 

I found some seasoned bread crumbs and a box (blecht) of mac & cheese in the pantry.  I'm kinda glad I had a box because I wasn't feeling up to making M&C from scratch.
 Mama made some carrots "last night" and had some left. Since they looked so delish on her site I had to try it out. You'll have to go to her site to find out the details...unless she posts it in the comments....


Here are the pork chops. I dipped them in milk and then dredged them in the bread crumbs that I had added a bit more seasoning. Then I sprayed with vegetable oil nonstick spray. Then I baked them.

So the break down for "tonight's" meal....Mac& Cheese and bread crumbs were in the pantry. The store brand M&C was 1.57 (I remember that price because I argued with Andy that I can buy a block of store brand velveeta cheese and a bag of store brand pasta & make homemade mac&cheese for less per serving and meal!). The bread crumbs were less than $2 (I'm pretty sure). The milk, well I didn't even use a cup so that was probably about .10 (if that). The carrots were FREE!!! Thanks to Mama and Daddy. (LOVE YALL).  The family pack of pork chops cost 8.69 and I split that into 2 meals. So they cost 4.35 for this meal.  Total for this meal: $9.06 (if that!)   Per serving: $2.01. I split it into 4.5 meals because I have leftovers for lunch "tomorrow".


No more using shake and bake when I can make it cheaper!
Oh and check on Monday's post for the edited version with the costs if you haven't already.

2 comments:

  1. looks good! how did you like the carrots? weren't they amazing?

    Now where is tonights meal? roflol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delish! Loved them loved them. Even good for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete