Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 5--"Tacos"

I am prewriting this post in the hopes that this is what we will be eating tomorrow night.  I just received a text from Mama saying that Daddy's mom has just been started on morphine.  While it will be sad that my children will never have gotten to meet my grandparents (who were by the way AWESOME cooks. I miss "Pop's lil cakes" that were always waiting for me when I got there. And we would always wake up from naps in the living room with "The Young and the Restless" playing and a "hobo" on the front stoop eating a plate of food that she had left for him.), I know that she will be in a better place and it has been a long battle for my Aunt Helen who has been taking care of her.





Why use a package of taco seasoning that you purchase for $0.50 when you can make it at home?


Just mix 4 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1tsp of paprika and 1/4 tsp cayenne and add it to the hamburger meat after its been browned.
So they didn't turn out like they do when you make a "run for the border" but I did get the seasoning recipe from an authentic Mexican cook book.



Hamburger meat: 2.25

Lettuce: $0.79
Tomato: $0.69
Tortillas:$2.35 for 20. Used half the pack $1.18
Sour cream: regularly $1.54 on sale for $0.97
Cheese: FFP $1.68 used about $0.30

Total: $6.18 Per Serving: $1.24

1 comment:

  1. dad did find a cookie recipe that is sorta close to pop's lil cakes. ask him to make you some soon lol.

    ReplyDelete